MTV Music (UK & Ireland)
|Launched||1 February 2011|
|Network||MTV (UK & Ireland)|
|Owned by||Viacom International Media Networks Europe|
|Picture format||16:9, 576i (SDTV)|
|Audience share||0.03% (May 2017BARB),|
|Country||United Kingdom and Ireland|
|Broadcast area||United Kingdom and Ireland|
|Timeshift service||MTV Music +1|
Channel 357 (+1)
|Virgin Media (UK)||Channel 310|
|Virgin Media (Ireland)||Channel 708|
|TalkTalk TV||Channel 536|
|BT TV||Channel 536|
MTV Music is a 24-hour non-stop music entertainment channel operated by Viacom International Media Networks Europe. The brand first launched in the United Kingdom and Ireland on subscription satellite and digital television services before launching in Australia, New Zealand, Italy, the Netherlands and Poland.
Concept and expansion
Viacom International Media Network announced the introduction of a non-stop music channel in January 2011. As the main MTV brand has deviated from its original purpose and increased competition from other music channels and online services, MTV addressed this issue by launching a new music channel MTV Music. The channel launched on 1 February 2011 in both the United Kingdom and Ireland. The channel replaced MTV Shows. On the date of MTV Shows' closure and MTV Music's launch, MTV moved up the Sky programme guide from its long-held berth at the head of the Music section to the Entertainment guide; in return the MTV Shows broadcast capacity moved down from the Entertainment section to take the place of MTV in the Music guide, becoming MTV Music.MTV Music began broadcasting in widescreen in the UK & Ireland on 28 March 2012 . On 15 February 2016, MTV Music +1 launched in the UK on Sky channel 358, replacing the standard-definition MTV Live.
Expansion across Europe
MTV Music UK was available across Europe however it was decided in 2015 to launch an ad-free channel targeting territories in Europe without their own local version of the same channel.
Expansion into Ireland
Expansion into Italy
Expansion into Australia and New Zealand
Expansion into Poland
- "MTV to launch new flagship music channel". Beehive City. 19 January 2011. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- http://www.skymedia.ie/_downloads/394/Nick%20Jnr2%20%20and%20MTV%20Music%20Press%20Release%20180913.pdf[permanent dead link]
- "Le note 7 giorni su 7: nasce Mtv Music" (in Italian). Corriere della Sera. 1 March 2011. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- Sky TV (4 November 2015). "New channel alert! MTV NZ is mixing it up with the world's greatest music from the 90s to today - MTV Music launches 1 December on channel 022". Facebook. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- "Viva Polska zmieni się w MTV Music" (in Polish). Viva Polska. 7 August 2017. Retrieved 7 August 2017.